Located on the corner of Washington and North Benton streets, St. Johns AME (African Methodist Episcopal) Church has been a religious leader in the St. Charles community for over 150 years and is now under the leadership of Reverends Stephen and Renita Lamkin. This church is quite tightly knit with a variety of unique meetings and services for the congregation.
For instance, thee nights a week, there are meetings called "Celebrate Recovery" where people get together somewhere in the area to talk about their faith and important issues facing the community and the world. Also, there is a Sunday school and once a month, there is a service on Sundays just for young children. The second service of the day on Sunday is always a less traditional one, with poetry, jazz and open mic, to integrate people who are seeking less structure to their mass. Also, every Saturday morning, there is choir practice. Please check the church's website to view a calendar of events.
- Hours: Sunday Services, 10am (school), 11am, 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: The church has a back entrance with a ramp.
- Founding Date: 1860
- Parking: On-street: free
- Denomination: African Methodist, Episcopal
- Services: Child care, Choir/music programs, Missionary programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: No