Jefferson Intermediate School
Jefferson Intermediate School serves all of the fifth and sixth grade students in the St. Charles School District. Principal Kim Harris describes an intermediate school as an upper elementary school. Students spend most of the time with two teachers instead of seeing up to seven in one day. "This allows students to more easily find a place to belong," she said.
In addition to daily physical education classes, students have time to play after lunch in the breezeway. Students also have 90 minutes of math instruction each day, as well as time for students who are behind to get extra help.
"We have an increased focus on reading, writing and mathematics," she said.
- Fax: 636-443-4401
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 3:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1966
- Number of students: 720
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 25:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 90
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Parents are able to volunteer in classrooms and help in the library. The school connects families with agencies that are able to serve them. A parent and family community involvement committee regularly plans events for families.
- What makes this community special?: Harris said the history and tradition of the St. Charles community make it a great place. "People care about young people and their success," she said. "They're very committed to supporting schools and their kids. It's a great place to be."
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: Fifth and sixth grade
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Choir, newspaper, intermurals, Students Against Neglecting the Environment, dance/drill team
- Uniforms: No