Editor's Note: This article was published in March 2011. For a 2012 list of St. Charles fish frys,
We've picked out the top five places to go for a fish fry this Lenten season. Do you think we forgot one? Leave us a comment and let us know why you think that fish fry is great!
- : Swing by this church between 4 and 7 p.m. on a Friday during Lent and sample fish tacos, rice and a homemade dessert for $7.50. You can also enjoy a margarita, beer or nachos. For a more traditional Lenten meal, try the adult dinner, which includes choice of fried or baked cod or catfish filets, coleslaw, appleasauce, hush puppies, fries or baked potato, homemade desserts for $9.50. Kid's dinners are $4 and include either a piece of cheese pizza or fish, applesauce, fries and a dessert.
- : Add something different to your fish fry meal with frog legs or peel-and-eat shrimp. Catfish, cod, or shrimp dinners for adults are $9, and includes french fries or a baked potato, coleslaw, diced tomato sauce, hush puppies, corn bread, ice cream, coffee, tea and milk. Add a frog leg or two for additional cost. Beer, wine and soda are available for purchase. Kids meals are $4 for kids ages 5 to 11.
- St. Cletus Catholic Parish has lots of options at its fish fry. Adults can get two pieces of fried cod or catfish, 0r a piece of breaded baked cod for $8. Six pieces of fried or boiled shrimp are $9 for adults. Seniors age 60 and older can get $1 off of the adult prices for meals. Meals for children ages 12 or under include a choice of cheese pizza, fried cod or catfish, or macaroni and cheese. The church also offers a piece of fried cod or catfish on bread with french fries for carryout. All meals come with baked potato or french fries, green beans, three hush puppies, cole slaw, apple sauce, corn bread and drink.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2866: The folks at the VFW Post do fish fries year round and offer a extended hours from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Stop by and try some catfish, cod, shrimp, walleye, crappie or fried chicken strips. Meals come with a choice of three sides including french fries, white beans, meatless spaghetti, potato salad or coleslaw. Adult meals are $8, kids meals are $5.50. You can also pick up a lot of fish for $11 a pound.
- Check out this fish fry if you want to support Feed My Starving Children, a community project set for May 13 and 14 in which the community will pack 125,000 meals for children in need. Fish fry meals are $8 for adults, $7 for seniors and $6 for kids from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. and go up $1 in price for each group from 5:30 to 7 p.m.