Small Business Saturday is on Nov. 24 this year, two days after Thanksgiving. It is a day for everyone to support the small businesses that their community thrives on.
American Express founded the day in 2010 to help small businesses get exposure during the holiday season, when they might be otherwise overlooked.
Last year, 100 million people nationwide participated in Small Business Saturday by shopping at locally owned stores to help boost the economy and their communities.
Greater St. Charles County Chamber of Commerce and the cities of St. Charles and St. Peters have partnered to promote local shopping in a campaign called "Shopping with the Saints - St. Charles, St. Peters and St. Nicholas."
The campaign is, in part, a reaction to the closure of the westbound span of the Blanchette Bridge. Officials hope residents will shop in St. Charles County and support the local economy.
Local shop owners are hoping for a successful holiday season, despite the closure. The annual Christmas Traditions festival kicks off on Friday.
Here are some local shops that have deals on Black Friday or Small Business Saturday:
- Framations, an art gallery and frame shop in historic St. Charles, will offer a special coupon on Saturday for 20 percent off a gallery item. Find it here.
- Reunion Revolution, a record shop at 3257 Domain Street in New Town, will have a performance from A Big Sad Whale at 2 p.m. Friday.
- Lillians has gloves for $6, headwraps for $8, scarves for $10 and cardigans for $12 on Friday and Saturday.
- Five Acres Animal Shelter will offer half off the adoption fee for all black dogs and cats adopted Friday-Sunday. The first six adopters get a free bag of Purina food.
- I Am What I Am will open at 8 a.m. Friday and will have cookies and cake balls for shoppers to sample.
- Olde Towne Spice Shoppe has several holiday items on sale for Small Business Saturday including Aspen Mulling spices two for $6, Thompson Soup Mixes two for $11, Pumpkin Butter/Apple Butter or Sweet Potato Pecan Butter two for $12.
- Mantra Salon and Spa at 136 S. Main Street in St. Charles is offering 20 percent off retail (excluding gift sets) and 20 percent off services Friday and Saturday.
Did we miss your shop's deal? Please add it in the comments below!