Summer's nearly over, and fall will be approaching before we know it. Before the kids get too entrenched in school, give them a fun read that will not only get them back into 'reading mode' but help them enjoy the last waning days of summer.
St. Charles Patch spoke with local librarian Patsy Molina at the of the St. Charles City-County Library District for her recommendations on kids' favorite books.
Five Children's Books to Finish Off Summer
- Anything by Rick Riordan - The famed author wrote the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, along with the Kane Chronicles and the Heroes of Olympus. Continually topping the New York Times bestselling list, Riordan's books will be loved by children for a long time to come.
- The Fancy Nancy series - Definitely a book series for girls, there are a lot of important lessons that can be learned from Jane O'Conner's iconic character. Read about the importance of consequences or how to spell in this very popular book series, illustrated beautifully by Robin Preiss Glasser.
- The Children of the Lamp series - A great book series for older children by British author P.B. Kerr, the Children of the Lamp include popular books such as The Blue Djinn of Babylon and The Cobra King of Khatmandu. The stories follow two twin djinn, supernatural creatures or genies (according to Wikipedia) and their adventures together.
- Superman - More popular amongst the boys, you can keep the story of Superman going by checking out various volumes of the Superman series at the St. Charles Library. Look for the Superman Adventures or get on board as Superman and Batman team up to fight the bad guys in other books.
- The Ulysses Moore series - This wonderful book collection follows the adventures of three children as they search for Ulysses Moore. A mystery series, this one has familiar themes like unlocking wardrobe doors to reveal secretes unknown - sure to not disappoint.