According to History.com, Cinco de Mayo, the fifth of May, is a minor holiday in Mexico to commemorate a 1862 victory over the French.
In the U.S., though, we've adopted Cinco de Mayo as a celebration of Mexican culture.
Across St. Charles County, many restaurants are offering special events to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this Sunday, May 4. We've rounded up a few of them for you:
- Massa's in New Town (3761 New Town Boulevard) will be celebrating both Saturday, May 3 and Sunday, May 4 with live music and drink specials. On Saturday, Rail will perform from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.. On Sunday, Massa's will be hosting a live performance by Javier Mendoza from 3 - 6 p.m.
- El Mariachi Mexican Restaurant, 1934 Zumbehl, will have food and drink specials as well as live music on Saturday and Sunday.
- Vista Grande, 3300 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, will have a tent outside and will be offering 16 oz. beer for $4. Hours for Sunday, May 5 are 11 a.m to 1 p.m.
- La Chata Mexican Restaurant, 2027 Highway K, will have food and drink specials and music on Sunday, May 4.
- Chevy's Fresh Mex, 3005 Highway K, will be offering drink specials and patio dining.
- Los Portales, 503 West Pearce Boulevard, will be celebrating with a tent and D.J. in their parking lot both Saturday and Sunday, May 4 and 5. Two of the specials they're offering are $2.50 Margaritas and Bud Lights.
- Chuy's Authentic Mexican Cuisine, 8 Wentzville Center, will be offering specials for Cinco de Mayo.
You can add your favorite Mexican restaurant's Cinco de Mayo celebration to our list in the comments below, or put it on our calendar by clicking this link!