Wal-Mart began pulling the formula after a 10-day-old baby died Sunday in Lebanon, MO.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports Avery Cornett's family took him to a local hospital when he showed signs of lethargy and stomach discomfort. According to the newspaper, tests showed Avery had contracted a rare bacteria which can be found in contaminated infant formula.
- 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder
- Lot number ZP1K7G
- Return Enfamil Newborn powdered formula to Wal-Mart for a refund or exchange it for another brand.
A report in the Washington Post quotes Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee, who said the company decided to pull the lot “out of an abundance of caution” while health officials further investigate Sunday’s death.
STLToday.com reports the Missouri Department of Health is advising parents to follow safety guidelines for preparing any infant formula:
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sterilize feeding equipment in hot soapy water.
- Prepare formula for one feeding at a time.