Martin Luther King Jr Day Events in St. Charles, St. Louis
Check out what's happening around the region in honor of Martin Luther King Jr Day
- St. Charles Annual Community Worship Celebration "Building a More Beloved Community" 7 p.m. Jan. 21 at St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Parish. Dr. T.D. Stubblefield, pastor of First Baptist Church of Chesterfield, will speak and the Community Builder Award and Human Rights Commission Award will be presented.
- A Civil Rights March and Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King will be held at 2:45 p.m. Jan. 21 at the Lindenwood University Spellman Center and continue to the Jekyll Theatre. A tribute will begin at 3 p.m. Keynote speaker is Latricia Buckner. Admission is free.
- Wentzville's March of Unity will begin at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Missouri Department of Revenue License office and end at Wentzville City Hall. All are invited to participate. MLK Jr Day Event, 7 p.m., at Wentzville Holt Hight School, will feature performances and speaker Rev. B.T. Rice Jr., pastor of New Horizon 7th Day Christian Church.
- Advancing the Dream: Healing our Divisions. St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley hosts the annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration at 3 p.m. Jan. 20 in the Terry M. Fischer auditorium. Rabbi Susan Talve, rabbi of Central Reform Congregation, will serve as keynote speaker. The event will also feature winners of the North County Churches Uniting for Racial Harmony and Justice (NCCU) oratorical contest.
- 11th Annual Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr hosted by the Hazelwood Community Enrichment Commission will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 20 at Civic Center East, 8969 Dunn Road. The event will feature African American women who have made contributions in medicine and music. Keynote speaker is Brenda Battle, a registered nurse and MBA recipient.
- A discussion on Continuing the Search for Civil Rights and Social Justice will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 17 at the St. Louis Jewish Community Center and will feature Rabbi Ben Kaimen and Ron Himes. Admission is $8.
- MLK Day Celebration at University of Missouri St. Louis will be held at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Touhill Performing Arts Center. Julianne Malveaux will be the guest speaker. A program for children ages 5-11 will run concurrently.
- Civic Ceremony and March of Celebration will begin at 10 a.m. Jan. 21 at the Old Courthouse at 4th and Market and will include remarks from elected officials. At 11 a.m. a March of Celebration will continue to Powell Symphony Hall. At 12:30 a.m. an interfaith service will be held at Powell Symphony Hall. Admission is free.
Give Back: Local Organizations Offer Service Opportunities
- Samaritan's Feet International will host a Shoes of Hope Distribution at Ferguson-Florissant Administration Building, 1005 Waterford Drive
Florissant, MO, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 18. Those interested in volunteering should arrive at 9 a.m. Sign up to help here.
- Help with O'Fallon's Fifth Annual Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Jan. 21. Events include creating origami flowers, decorating cards for residential care centers and others yet to be determined. For more information contact Alexis Jaegers at 636-379-5408.