St. Charles fire fighters responded to nine fire incidents caused by fireworks this year, triple the number they responded to last year.
The incidents ranged from a fire in a small patch of grass to a fire in a 10 foot by 10 foot area, Chief Ernie Rhoads said.
The city went ahead with its annual fireworks show on July 4 even though other cities opted to cancel their fireworks shows. Rhoads said they kept a close eye on the weather leading up to the holiday.
Although it was abnormally dry, the area was not in an extreme draught.
Since there was no red flag warning, the city decided to go ahead with the fireworks.
"We think we managed it very well," Rhoads told the council Tuesday.
Even if the city decided to ban fireworks use, the fire department would have had to plan for the possibility of fires.
"We should ban them and get rid of them and not sell them in the city of St. Charles," he said. "It would be nice if we didn't have to worry about that."
Rhoads said the city managed the risk well during the high heat period.
Councilman Mike Weller, Ward-5, said watching the skyline from his back deck he could see four different displays between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., which is down 70 percent from years past.
"I think, overall, people did cut back and were cuatious about their yards and their neighbors," he said.
|Year||# Firework Related Incidents|